The Shamokin and Coal Township Public Library
was incorporated in April 1941 under the auspices of the Shamokin Woman's
Club. Thwarted by both World War II and a lack of funds, the area's first
Library did not open its doors until September 20, 1953 at 508 North Eighth
Street and ten years later, at 69 East Independence Street.
The Library moved into its present location at
210 East Independence Street in June 1967 following the use of over $135,000 in
federal Appalachian grants that were used to turn the former Wolfe's Department
Store into a Public Library.
The Public Library provides services to
the 21,482 residents of the Shamokin Area School District including the
communities of Shamokin, Coal Township, Shamokin Township and East Cameron
Township. The building that houses the library is owned and largely
maintained by the City of Shamokin. The two-storied 12,209 square
foot facility is pleasant, well lighted and decorated, and welcoming to
patrons of all ages.
the Library provides year round adult and children's programming by a
friendly staff of 4 full-time library aides and a professional librarian.
It also maintains a collection of nearly 54,000 books, magazines and
newspapers, DVDs, videotapes, books on CD/tape, music CD's, and microfilm
for interested local patrons or those possessing memberships in other public
libraries under the AccessPA statewide borrowing program. An automated
circulation system is utilized and 8 internet access computers are available
for use by the public.
Through the POWER
Library program, the Library now provides its patrons home access to
thousands of periodical articles, newspapers, photographs, pictures, charts,
maps, and reference materials for all age groups.